The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: Québec City - day four

The Pancake Chronicles

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Québec City - day four

© Colleen Hilman
On Sunday morning I got up before my honey and walked through the sun rising.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
You know, the Château Frontenac ...

© Colleen Hilman
... is stunning ...

© Colleen Hilman
... no matter ...

© Colleen Hilman
... which way ...

© Colleen Hilman
... you look at it.

DSC_0860
SEE?  (Plus, I just really like that squirky little thing over the 'a'.)

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
Holiday home decorating, Québec style.

© Colleen Hilman
Freedom in the Plains of Abraham.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
Saint Lawrence in the morning.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
This was my favourite tree...

© Colleen Hilman
... even before I found out ...

© Colleen Hilman
... there is an honest to goodness perma-cannonball curled within its roots.

© Colleen Hilman
The wall dividing the Old Quarter from the New.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
Somewhere in the middle of all the day Mark and I walked and shopped through the streets together.  And we happened upon carollers!  Carollers!  Just a'singin' in the street!  Pulled from a page out of Dickens!  With Christmas spinning around them.  They were very good.

© Colleen Hilman
I was taking photos when this French gentlemen in his chapeau politely interrupted my snaps to hand me the mittens (Madam) I had left behind on a garden wall.  Merci beaucoup!

© Colleen Hilman
This is the house that the music for O Canada, our national anthem, was written in.  Mark noticed the quiet plaque otherwise I would've walked right on by.  There was an apartment for sale here, too.  Perhaps the very one the song was written in!

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
In the evening we had dinner was at Le Champlain in the Château.  This was The Big Dinner of the week.  I really can't, just, it was, wow.  Our table overlooked the beautiful Saint Lawrence. We were fed and treated royally.  The service, amazing.  The food, perfect.  The atmosphere was old and warm, grand and intimate.
Another beautiful day to be grateful for!  (Gleep.  Going through major Château withdrawal here!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Colleen you have such an eye for beautiful photographs. Each one is more stunning than the next!

22 December 2011 at 23:29  
Blogger villagegirl said...

Your pictures make my heart sing. I don't know how else to put it. :)

23 December 2011 at 19:48  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thank you! I (not so) secretly wish I could live there. The old beauty everywhere and the trees who've seen it all and the people in their chapeaus and trenchcoats are just begging for their photo to be taken. You would LOVE it, you two!

24 December 2011 at 00:35  

any questions?

<< Home