The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: Québec City - day two

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Québec City - day two

© Colleen Hilman
Through my morning window.
There was much that took place on our second day in Québec City but nothing was breakneck.  We were relaxed all the way.  I think it's the nature of the place.

© Colleen Hilman
We had breakfast at le Cochon Dingue.  I had the crêpe au gratin which was a shallot and spinach crêpe stuffed with ham, mushrooms, bechamel sauce and melted gouda cheese.  Oh hello, beautiful.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
Upon leaving we found a gnome home.  I am very curious about this place.  I believe a family of Narnian foxes live here and refuse to be told that it's someone's cold storage or somesuch dull thing.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
Again, the Château Frontenac.

© Colleen Hilman
The only thing in our day that was breakneck were these stairs specifically named "Breakneck Stairs".  If we needed to get down quickly to the lower part of the old quarter there was a little tram that took one straight down the hill for $2 which cut out twenty minutes of walking up or down steep roads.  It came in handy if we were late for a reservation or had already walked our legs off prior and just couldn't look another flight of stairs in the eye.
© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
Every storefront and restaurant was decorated for Christmas and this restaurant had my favourite display of them all.
© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
This was my favourite store to browse through.  Everything was handmade and imported from Turkey.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
We took a country bus tour.  Mark and I were the only ones on it.  Apparently December 2nd isn't the high time of the year for tourism.  The first place we visited was the Île d'Orléans - a small island in the fleuve Saint-Laurent.  We visited a chocolaterie and made the appropriate delicious purchases necessary.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
This home was across the street from the chocolate shop and on the shoreline of the fleuve Saint-Laurent.  Unfortunately it wasn't the best day for sightseeing because, unlike the previous day, the sky was socked in.  Fortunately I didn't care because it was the first snowfall and everything was beautiful.

© Colleen Hilman
Bridal Veil Falls.  I'm sure there is a bridal falls in every province, state and territory in the world. 

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

DSC_0433
After a visit to the falls we were taken to an amazing copper shop.  I wasn't able to take photos there but the work was exquisite.
And then to Chez Marie!  Where we were told she would serve us fresh bread and maple butter.

© Colleen Hilman
It was true!  She did.  There she is and there they are.  It was so good.  SO good.  Swirly, melty, smooth, sweet but not too.  A little jar of maple joy now resides in my northern cupboard.  I want to make it last, I really do, but it is extraordinarily hard not to dip into now and then.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
The Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
We arrived a little late here.  It was dusk and we missed out on the beautiful stained glass windows flooding the sanctuary.  We were unable to take photos during Mass, naturally, which was in session.  But we did enjoy sitting in the old wooden pews and taking everything in.  There was a little sanctuary in the basement and that is where these photos came from.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
Every moment of our country tour was beautiful.

© Colleen Hilman
After we returned to the hotel we didn't feel like going out for dinner so we ordered room service - nachos and a cheese and fruit plate.  Sat on the bed and watched a little TV.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
Mark was done for the night but not I - Iwanted to poke around still.  So I explored the inside of the Château.  I took the elevator up to the 17th floor and then one more elevator to the 18th. 

© Colleen Hilman
Snow on the rooftop.  I can imagine Santa's sleigh along the ridgepole.

© Colleen Hilman
The Price Building, built in 1929.  The Québec premier's official residence is here.

© Colleen Hilman
How beatuiful from the top of the hotel!

© Colleen Hilman
One of the halls of the ritzier areas, I think it was either one of the top two floors.  From the 18th floor I took the stairs
all
the
way
down ...

© Colleen Hilman
... and stepped outside. A girl gets warm walking down some five hundered steps. And outside was winter cool.  I stood in the park adjoining the hotel for awhile willing time to stand still with me.

© Colleen Hilman
One last look up at the Château and then to bed.

3 Comments:

Blogger villagegirl said...

Oh my goodness Colleen. Your pictures are stunning! I yearn to go there.
I do love the gnome door. I also believe that the foxes live there. Such a spectacular door could not possibly hold something dull.

14 December 2011 at 11:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Amazing icicles, lovely skyline! I want to move in with the foxes!

Nancy

14 December 2011 at 20:02  
Blogger Alicia P. said...

Good golly day, these photos are exquisite. What an amazing place. I have always wanted to go there, no even more.

28 December 2011 at 20:18  

any questions?

<< Home