The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: Québec City - first eve

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, December 09, 2011

Québec City - first eve

© Colleen Hilman
After three flights travelling north to south and then west to east, with the clock working against us and adding hours to an already long day we arrived at Le Château Frontenac around 10 pm. The fact that I'd awoke at 3:30 am that morning to catch the first plane and had been in a sleepy fog all day slipped away when we arrived. It was so big and beautiful and old and Christmasy and lovely without being showy and glamorous. When you're that beautiful you don't have to flaunt it you just are it.

© Colleen Hilman
Our room was cozy and well appointed. I loved it immediately.

© Colleen Hilman
One of the zillion bannisters to somewhere. With 618 rooms and 18 floors there are steps and stairs a'plenty. We were on the seventh floor.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
Ancient reflecting devices on our seventh floor hallway.

© Colleen Hilman
Being that we were both sleepy and one of us was Albertan we felt that ordering room service desserts while watching the Oilers game was our best course of action as opposed to mixing and mingling with the Québecy throngs.

© Colleen Hilman
Mark ordered crème brûlée. I love the maple leaf shaped wafer - Canadian touch.

© Colleen Hilman
I almost always order crème brûlée if it's an option but oh I thought I'd shake it up a little with a hazelnut cake dark chocolate torte thingy. I couldn't manage a good photo but those are figs in the distance. I confess the only fig I'd ever had up until last week was a Newton. Now I can tell you with confidence that figs are homey and sweet and pretty and every bite tasty.

© Colleen Hilman
And then to bed.  The most comfortable bed ever.  The best pillowy happiness ever.  I was out like a light.  Mind you I was so tired it could have been a rock and I'd have been good.  Getting up at 3:30 am will do that to a girl.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Susan said...

wow! looks like an AMAZING start to a fabulous holiday! looking forward to part deux... living vicariously ;)

9 December 2011 at 00:11  
Anonymous Julie said...

Just fabulous !
A dream.
I'm glad for you.
Julie

9 December 2011 at 03:06  
Blogger Rachel said...

Simply lovely...I must go there.

9 December 2011 at 08:05  
Blogger Keri's Collage... said...

I love it all! It's officially on my list of 'places I must see'!

9 December 2011 at 08:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks just beautiful :) Not overdone at all.

I LOVE creme brulee! Yummers!

Can't wait to see more.

XO Kel

10 December 2011 at 14:06  
Blogger villagegirl said...

I want to go there right now!!
Beautiful pictures!

11 December 2011 at 17:03  

any questions?

<< Home