The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: Québec City - day one

The Pancake Chronicles

Monday, December 12, 2011

Québec City - day one

© Colleen Hilman
  I hardly know where to begin!  And it's really not so much where to begin as how MUCH there is.
The above photo is the view from our hotel window.  The first morning began with breakfast at the Château's Café de la Terrasse.  Eggs benedict, please!  Smuvlee.
We spent the rest of the day touring and walking along some of the many streets, walkways and parks of the city.

© Colleen Hilman
Overlooking the Saint Lawrence River.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
The town of Lévis, a quick five minute ferry ride over the fleuve Saint-Laurent from Québec City.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
The Fairmont Le Château Frontenac - one of many photos of the old hotel coming soon from a Colleen near you.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
One lucky winter tree with a view of it all.

© Colleen Hilman
Shops and buildings in the Old Quarter.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
The Plains of Abraham.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
I could nay get enough of the trees.

© Colleen Hilman
He went that-a-way!

© Colleen Hilman
The Parliament buildings just outside the walled city.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
People live here.  I hope they are grateful.

© Colleen Hilman
All the shops are amazingly decorated for Christmas.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
Socks, darn it!

© Colleen Hilman
  It was a wonderful day but the best thing of all happened in the evening and I haven't a photo to show you.  We went to see Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montréal perform Casse-Noisette - the Nutcracker Suite.  It was beautiful beyond words.  All my life I've wanted to see it and I was not disappointed.  Far from it.  It was all I could do to keep from weeping through the first half.  I wasn't expecting to be so emotional but the combination of the dreamy sets and costuming, the talent and grace of the dancers and the live orchestra playing all the music I know so well mixed in with all my hopes and expectations of what it would be like was almost too much.  It far exceeded my imaginings and if we did nothing else in Quebec that week I'd consider our trip a success.

8 Comments:

Blogger Nan said...

I think I could live there quite happily, don't you?! And my gosh, woman, these are terrific photographs. Thank you, thank you for taking (bringing?) me there.

12 December 2011 at 14:40  
Blogger Colleen said...

Oh yes, most definitely! I was looking up homes for sale after we left and wondering how hard it would be for me to learn French! :)There are lots more photos to come if you need another trip away!
And thank you. xo.

12 December 2011 at 17:23  
Blogger Rachel said...

Stunning...must go there!

12 December 2011 at 23:42  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh my dear COLLEEN!! I am left speechless after that perusal.. WOW.

PS - socks!!

PPS - trees and shadows and more trees and buildings!!

12 December 2011 at 23:45  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

I'm in love with Quebec already! Thanks for taking me there too through your most beautiful photos! On my list now of places to go!

12 December 2011 at 23:45  
Anonymous Tiffany said...

ooooh, aaaaaaah. thank you.

13 December 2011 at 14:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the skylines! So pretty and puzzly shaped!

Nancy

13 December 2011 at 18:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember some of those shops!!! Aren't they just beautiful :)

And NO snow?? How blessed!

Did you see the tree with a cannon ball in it?

Now I want to take hubby away and have a holiday there too! hee hee

And the Nutcracker? Oh one day I too will get to see it. And I'll probably cry too. Maybe bc for the first time I'll be away from my kids and having a holiday with my beloved :)

Glad it was far and above your expectations.

XO Kel

13 December 2011 at 18:46  

any questions?

<< Home