The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: FIGHT.

The Pancake Chronicles

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

FIGHT.

      Step outside, umbrella opens. Instantly I know I need a hat for backup. The wind near twists my shelter inside out. Back inside, throw a hat on, close the umbrella, huck a book in my bag for good measure. Ack! So cold! I know it's raining - I love the rain - but this is misery. My hands are freezing waiting for the bus. The bus. Relief. Doors open. I'm in. Doors open - I'm spat back out into spit. Open umbrella - round 2. Fighting wind, fighting wind. Any second now I'll Mary Poppins, I swear. I'm a bit mad. Watching for feet, everything's pulled low over me. Two near bumps into soggy strangers. Fight, fiiiiighht. GUSSSST. Trying to guess the next move. Force fierce and about-faces like an Aussie boomerang. I know it's going to happen but what can I do? Watch the blue nylon pop and buckle. Come on, stay with me! Come onnnnn .... FLIP. Backwards, outwards this stick of a flapping metal flower fisted numbly. Hands pink. Branding my exoskeletal posy weapon. As much as a mouthful to wield as that was to say. Flippin' flip flippy stupid inside-flippin' flippity-out umbrella. Grabble. Grasp. FIGHT. Okay. Back to shape of origin. But a right-turn and one more blast takes care of that and I have my bucket bouquet once more. I hear laughter. Is it me they're laughing at? If it were me I'd be laughing at me. So I smile a little, anger dissipates a tad. Insisting defiant material against a pebbled wall, will it to be its own self. Thank goodness, the door. I'm here already. A punch against glass and I'm hurled into dry land. Unceremoniously, thank you very much. I didn't want you anymore anyway, Weather cold shoulders me like it didn't care. Like it hadn't just had the time of its life poking fun at my every attempt to resist.

      "Hello. Large latte, please."

14 Comments:

Blogger Tips Of All Sorts said...

ROFL!
I hope no one takes a picture of us while we're in that struggling 'me-against-the-wind' situation!

5 September 2007 at 00:47  
Blogger Rachel said...

Oh has the weather up there turned already?

5 September 2007 at 09:01  
Blogger Suzie said...

it that what cold weather is like?

5 September 2007 at 10:36  
Blogger Talena said...

I can feel the wind, C! And I love how "Mary Poppins" is now a verb in unconjugated form.

Hope the sun finds you again soon!

5 September 2007 at 11:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the new haircolor!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its Awesome!

5 September 2007 at 11:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt miserable just reading that post! It makes me grateful for our nice weather down here.

5 September 2007 at 12:53  
Blogger Keri's Collage... said...

You better make it an EXTRA large latte!

5 September 2007 at 22:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL Oh my goodness! Its going to be around a hundred today here in middle Georgia. :)

6 September 2007 at 10:17  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hey guys - the weather has started to turn to fall up here although this was just a particularly nasty day. And it wouldn't have been as nasty if I hadn't insisted on making an umbrella work in windy weather. I was looking at the beautiful weather forecast for the rest of Canada thinking Wow, we're really getting gypped. I've always loved hot weather - HOT weather - so please, all of you, enjoy that sunshine for me!

Also, as much as I love that awesome red hair colour I don't have the guts to dye my own that way. I found this photo on Flickr. :)

7 September 2007 at 11:22  
Blogger Dawn said...

Great read Colleen! It reminds me of the wintery days here where the ice, wind, sub zero temps and pelting snow all work against those of us needing to brief the outdoors. Darn weather.
Cheers!

8 September 2007 at 09:38  
Blogger Theresa said...

Thanks for the morning laugh! You so took me back to living in Winnipeg, walking downtown, round the wrong corner and splat! Right into whatever is too close! I HATE WIND!!!

9 September 2007 at 12:06  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hi Dawn! I hear ya. And I completely misread the weather. I thought it was just a lovely rainy day not knowing I was about to be attacked. Thank you for coming by. Drop by anytime! :)

Hi Theresa! I hope I didn't take you back somewhere you didn't want to be - although it's never so bad when you know you don't have to actually go there. I'm not a fan of wind myself. I echo your capital letters!

9 September 2007 at 17:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I was so looking forward to opening up your blog to see what treasures you had left in my absence... and here you are battling against the elements in this fabulous blog entry - really loved this one.

What will you do with the cranberries by the way? Do you make jam?

I just got back form China this morning, and I feel very dazed and jet-lagged, so will write more once I feel vaguely human again.

x

15 September 2007 at 09:25  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hello Cat! You must feel a bit in a whirl after your big trip. I'm really looking forward to hearing about it as I've been regularly "checking back" to see if you'd returned. I'm glad you liked this post. As funny as it ended up sounding I was really quite miserable. One of those days when the weather reflects the state of one's heart. That one being me. Writing about it helped me swallow. Does that make sense? As for the cranberries? This year's pickin's are pretty slim so I may just huck them into some porridge or in a batch of scones.
I'm glad you're home. :)

16 September 2007 at 16:56  

any questions?

<< Home