The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: rhubarb

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, December 04, 2009

rhubarb

© Colleen Hilman
      You would think I was a big fan of tea what with the tea posts of late but lo, I am not. I try to be a fan though. It seems like such a nice thing to like. There are certain things I keep trying because I think to myself who wouldn't like that? Take for example baths. What could be better after a long day on one's feet? Hot water! Bubbles! Who doesn't like this? ME is who. I can't do it. Nope! And I finally figured that out. Every time I needed to warm up and relax I'd pop myself into a bath and think boy that sucked and then, before you'd know it, I'd find myself in a tub again. Now I know - three minutes in a bathtub and I feel like I'm stewing in my own juices. Wow. That sounds remarkably terrible.
      What else? Candles. Not a fan. Unless I was in some sort of old cathedral or medieval-y kind of place and there were pillars upon pillars of flame. That would be cool. I do like old fashioned Christmas candlelight services though. I guess it's hundreds of candles for me or none at all or ... something. Unless they're on a birthday cake. Geepers. This is starting to sound like one of those old grammar rules with several addendums - "i before e except after c or when sounded like a as in neighbour or weigh; and except seize and seizure and also leisure, weird, height, and either, forfeit, and neither." (The Complete Word Book by Mary A. DeVries [yeah but don't forget friend and heist and reign and codeine and beige and ....!])
      Hot chocolate. No thank you.
      Scrapbooking - pass.
      Hand lotion - hate it.
      Tea? Still trying. It has its moments and I remember liking the aforementioned Twinings when I was a kid. Oh! And London Fogs. They just plain old sound delicious.
      So what sort of person is this? This bath-loathing-candle-disdaining-hot-chocolate-spitting-scrap-scrapbooking-lotion-hucking-tea-trying Ogre of a Person. Well ....
      Puddles rock my world.
      Bubbles divorced from bathwater are seriously awesome.
      Maple syrup and waffles.
      Train rides.
      The word rhubarb.
      Rabbits with floppy ears. (Do you love me now? You can't be a terrible person and love rabbits.)
      Ping pong. In fact I used to have my own paddle stored under the front seat of my car in case I happened upon a game a paddle short. (I also travelled with bubbles. You never know, right?)
      In closing, please accept me, because I'm never having a bath again and I don't want to be lonely.

16 Comments:

Blogger Dickie Chick said...

somehow i always find it refreshing when i discover what i really do and don't like and the reason behind it all. I still like you for not enjoying baths or hot chocolate or maybe scrapbooking. ;o) love ya!

4 December 2009 at 10:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it would appear that we are almost complete opposites...with exception to the tea and train rides. Yet somehow I still think you're one of the sweetest people I have the pleasure of knowing. :)

4 December 2009 at 11:11  
Blogger jenna said...

i have an idea for you. you should get a sauna! heat, no water, just plain dry heatness.
But really, how can you not like baths? I love a good bath but I'm particular about what kind of tub I'm in. aren't we all a little quirky?

4 December 2009 at 13:03  
Blogger Rachel said...

I don't really care for scrapbooking or hand lotion either :)
How about hot tubbing? What's not tto like about that?!

4 December 2009 at 22:51  
Blogger Colleen said...

I know! I don't like hot baths! Or hot tubs! What is WRONG with me you may well ask. I just get that "get me OUT of here" feeling like I need air. Nope, I love me a good shower though.
And ha HA Jenna Bean. I think that plain dry heatness of a sauna is a brilliant idea. Why hadn't I thought of it before? How DO you do it? :)

5 December 2009 at 00:27  
Anonymous Captain Cat said...

Oh dear. I am mortified. I just don't think we're compatible anymore. I mean, what's left? You hate hot chocolate and baths. I hate ping pong and waffles. This is a complete disaster.

5 December 2009 at 06:20  
Anonymous Captain Cat said...

You don't like hand cream??? Really? I couldn't be without it.

*sigh*

5 December 2009 at 06:23  
Anonymous Captain Cat said...

I am with you on the scrap booking though.

5 December 2009 at 06:24  
Anonymous Captain Cat said...

I also love puddles, unless I am pushed into one when not wearing a pair of wellies.

Ok, enough bombardment of this post with comments. xx

5 December 2009 at 06:25  
Anonymous Captain Cat said...

(though I do like the word 'rhubarb' as well, very much. Not as much as the word 'weasel' though).

5 December 2009 at 06:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God! I thought I was a freak for hating baths! I have never understood the point of just sitting there! Too bad my skin won't allow me to go without...sniff...sigh.

Nancy

5 December 2009 at 10:18  
Blogger Les said...

I accept you, even if you don't like baths (which I LOVE). I'm not terribly fond of candles either. I have so many that I've received over the year as gifts, but I rarely ever light them. I figure they'll come in handy if we ever have a power outage. I prefer tea (or a hot toddy) any day over hot chocolate. I can sip those. Whenever I have hot chocolate, I feel compelled to gulp it down. I'm right there with you on scrapbooking. Really. Who has that much time?? Couldn't live without my hand lotion (and lip balm). Far too dry here in the winter.

Fun post!

5 December 2009 at 13:56  
Anonymous Pamela said...

Good thing you posted this before Christmas! I guess I'll take back the tea, lotion and scrapbooking set I got for you. Just kiddin'. I think Julia has your name this year and I'll let her know your list of "no thank you's".

5 December 2009 at 20:25  
Blogger Colleen said...

Captain Cat - with puddles and rhubarb is there anything we can't do? xo

Nancy! It is I that thanks you! I need some support around here. I almost felt like I might be stripped and popped into a tub against my will what with all these bath-folk about me! Strength in numbers! Stay strong!

Les - the only way to get rid of all those candles is to burn them to death! Have a bonfire and roast mallows o'er them all. :)

Pamelamalamala! Ha! Yes, I was being extraordinarily passive aggressive. Glad it worked. Let Julia know that the only thing I'm not allergic to is $100 bills. :)

6 December 2009 at 16:19  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

"No" to hot chocolate? That one surprises me. BUT! I don't like baths, either. Mostly cause the only thing I really want to do is read, not soak in a tub, so why not do that someplace less likely to destroy my book in an inadvertent moment of clumsiness?

You are NOT alone! :-)

I don't like making quilts. Or watching hockey. (Gasp! Did I just say that in my outside voice? Am I still allowed to call myself Canadian?!)

Love you.

7 December 2009 at 17:33  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hello, Canadian (living in snow - watching hockey = neutral) Girl! I have to admit I don't mind some homemade hot cocoa. Not too sweet. It's the store stuff, or anything bought at restaurants that I don't like. (You know ... I'm getting terribly picky in my "old age".) I have to say it's good to find one more (Nancy and you) bath-loather. I, too, have marvelled at people who read in the bath. How is this possible what with soggy paper and all? It surprised me you don't like making quilts. Why? Monotony?

Love you, too.

8 December 2009 at 20:04  

any questions?

<< Home